Sunday, September 4, 2016

Let it speak for itself-Acta non Verba

Elephants, maybe?



My grandfather put a mailbox way up on a pole and labelled it "AIRMAIL" because he thought it was funny. I am sure he would like Acta non Verba. He probably would have created it if he had owned a hay farm on a highway.


Two views of the tin man

He is quite big!

One of my favorites!


One of Forkland, Alabama's 606 residents, at least, is apparently a kindred soul. This wide place in the road is home to an absolutely exquisite slice of American cheese. I do not know the artist in residence at this living museum, but I have watched in amusement and admiration for years as he has created hay-bale-and-junk-metal art in a field alongside Highway 43 in Greene County, Alabama. This singular attraction changes occasionally, adding new pieces as the spirit moves. The owner asks for no donations, simply brightening up the countryside with a wink and a nod. The on the right of way leading to the exhibit are three large signs bearing one word each: "Acta" "Non" "Verba"--actions, not words--written on three large signs in the style of the old Burmashave ads. I think I should leave it at that.









Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At September 7, 2016 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Amanda McCracken said...

This has changed a lot since I last drove by.

 
At September 9, 2016 at 3:36 PM , Blogger Barbara [looking for the perfect slice of Americana] said...

Lots of new sculptures. Check it out next time you are down!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home