Sunday, August 21, 2016

The basics


 A psychotherapist by training and experience, I am drawn to what we in the South call "characters," those interesting individuals who add color and flavor to the casserole of life. Places can do that, too--restaurants, museums, houses, stores, intentional and unintentional attractions can be the cherry on the top of a visit. If a local character is the "You have to meet Miss Suzy" of a place, what I am drawn to is the tourism equivalent, the "You don't want to miss..." of the area. I am collecting memories of such places, and I fondly call them "American cheese."
I love to travel. I go to all kinds of places and take in all manner of experiences as I go. And just so you know:  I appreciate a wide range of performing and visual arts. I like the symphony and ballet and theater and other traditionally accepted cultural venues. I go to the Louvre, the Prado, the Metropolitan Museum and the like whenever I have the chance. Case in point, my daughter and I had season opera tickets for several years when she was in high school, and we had wonderful times enjoying those performances. I have taken student groups abroad in order to expose them to the finer things.
However, this blog is not about those important (sometimes far too self-important, but that's another topic) places. As I travel, I collect memories and stories and impressions and sometimes pictures of places that deserve to be celebrated. I have had far too much fun to keep my on-the-road experiences to myself. So here I go, sharing my American cheese adventures with you. Bon appetit! Or, maybe more aptly, "on your mark, get set, let's GO!"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home